Lifeguard (Aquatic Councilor)
Classification: Hourly, non-exempt
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Basic Function: To supervise the operations of Hartford’s Camp Courant Aquatics Program and ensure the safety of all Campers during swim time.
– Supervise and monitor all camper use of the pool;
– Implement curriculum and program plans related to Swimming 101 and Water Safety appropriate for each age group and make recommendations as needed;
– Educate campers about water safety and emergency procedures;
– Complete training on water safety, First Aid, CPR and AED administration;
– Monitor daily schedule of all pool activities to ensure optimum pool usage;
– In collaboration with the Pool Director and Aquatics Director, complete daily assessment of all pool equipment and supplies and check for needed repairs;
– Attend any additional staff trainings and meetings as necessary;
– Perform a variety of additional duties as deemed necessary to achieve the goals of Hartford’s Camp Courant.
Equivalent Education Level
– Minimum 16 years of age, with at least two years of High School High or equivalent required, with current certification for Professional Rescuers from the American Red Cross Lifeguarding (includes First Aid/CPR/AED certification).
Specific Skills Required
– One (1) to two (2) years working in an aquatics environment;
– Ability to work outdoors for an extended period of time and perform lifesaving technique;
– Outstanding planning and organizational skills;
– Proven success in operating pool equipment;
– Demonstrated ability to train groups and individuals;
– Excellent interpersonal communication;
– Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds;
– Unwavering commitment to children.
– Work day begins at 9am and ends at 3:30pm.
– Work week is Monday-Friday.